The first day of language school is exciting. We meet the people who will share with us the important experience of learning a new language. Creating a positive atmosphere is essential to achieve better performance in class, but sometimes shyness may become our biggest enemy. In order to face the first day of class, we have put together some activities that will certainly help to break the ice.
- Words cloud. The students think of 9 words that describe themselves – favourite food, colour, cities, hobbies… – and they write them down inside a drawing, which will be shown to the rest of classmates later on.
- Greetings. The teacher divides students into two concentric circles, an internal one and an external one. The students shall walk whilst some music is being played. When the music stops, they should introduce themselves to the person in front of them. The introduction should be different every time.
- The star. The teacher draws a star and writes down a word on each tip. The students have to guess the meaning of these words by asking yes/no questions. For example: Blue – Is it your favourite colour? Is that the colour of your car?
- Truth or lie. The students make a list with three different sentences related with their daily routine. Two sentences must be false and the other one must be true. The rest of the students should guess which one is the true sentence by posing some questions. The more original the sentences are, the funnier the game is.
- The cobweb. We need a ball of yarn to play this game. A person holds the thread, he/she talks briefly about himself/herself and throw the ball to another student who will repeat the process. At the end of the game, all the students should be connected through a nice web.